On this Memorial Day weekend I would like to tell you about my mother, Lucy Catherine Nofs.
She met my father when they were both working at Sperrys Department Store in Port Huron. She was the manager of the Infants Department and my father worked in the Furniture Department. They married in 1928 and moved to Carsonville when I was 3 months old.
In Carsonville my mother did the bookkeeping for my father's meat delivery business and grocery store. She also bought greeting cards wholesale and sold them to friends and neighbors
for extra spending money. She was a devout Catholic, very good violinist (loved our violin and piano duets) and was a member of the school board when I was in school. She also took the test to be Postmistress and passed it just a couple of weeks before her death in 1950.
Judy was 2 years old and Pat was 1 year old when the auto accident occurred May 20, 1950. Mom and Dad had attended a wedding reception in Port Sanilac that Saturday evening and were on their way home. Your Dad and Grandpa Harvey got the ambulance call and took them to Sandusky Hospital. Mom died the next day and Dad was in the hospital for nine months with a fractured hip.
They are still here in our hearts and thoughts.
Love to All, Mom (Grandma & Great-Grandma)
Thanks for a great post Mom. I know it took a lot of thought and preparation for you guys to do this, but we really appreciate it. Its funny the things that jump out like furniture store and meat store which dad did also. And how about that greeting card thing that you are so diligent about? Now I see where that comes from. The bookkeeping is interesting since that is what I like also. I don't have to tell anyone how the fractured hip hits home. With all of her ambitions and accomplishments I see a bit of Grandma Lucy in all of us. Thanks for a great story.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the post Mom. Debbie is right, I see the roots of many things still alive in all of us. I remember holding the violin when we visited Grandpa Joe. Thanks again for posting!
ReplyDeleteMom, thank you for a very thoughtful story. I can hear you telling this even as I read it. What a great memory to have of you and Grandma Lucy doing duets. And I had no idea how they met. This is great to know. Well done Mother!
ReplyDeleteMom that was beautiful. Memories are what keep the heart. I don't remember hearing this whole story, justs bits. Grandma Lucy lives on in all of us it seems. Thanks. Pat
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing Grandma Lucy with us, since we didn't get to know her. I feel I know her a little more now and also feel the loss. Family is forever. Love, Judy
ReplyDelete