For 20 something years, this wife gladly used the convenient but true excuse "I can't take a vacation during the school year." So my husband went off on winter ski trips with other enthusiasts. But since retiring, that excuse is no longer valid and since my husband wanted to share with me the beauty of the Rocky Mountains and the quality snow skiing conditions in Colorado, I agreed to join him and 2 other couples for my first (and to hint at my conclusion ... my last) Aspen ski trip. We flew out last Wednesday, landed among the snow covered mountains and my stomach began questioning my decision. Once we made ourselves at home in the condo at the Snowmass Ski Village, we went for a walk to get acclimated . . . every step was a gradual incline and I experienced the heavy breathing required for the thin air and altitude of this skiing paradise!
I had already decided that if I was going to take a trip to Aspen, I had to at least try skiing one time so we inquired about beginning ski lessons. And the next morning, helpful young people equipped me for the 9 to 3 experience (there was not a shorter lesson time period, but I was assured I could quit whenever I wished.) All learners were to ride the gondola to the lesson area, and it was at this point that my stomach was again producing butterflies at how high up into the mountain we were going. The lesson area turned out to be a flattened slope far from the regular ski crowd. In the end, it was neat to be able to be a beginner up in the mountain rather than just down at the foot. After being evaluated, my 4 group mates and I rode the chair lift with our instructor as she reminded us to lean forward when we slid away from the chair. As I focused on leaning forward, I failed to keep my ski tips up and therefore caught my left ski too low. My leg went sideways, I was pushed forward by the chair, and of course lost my balance and landed flat on my back! After a moment of mentally checking my condition, I gathered myself together with other’s assistance and never fell again THAT day. By the time 2:30 rolled around, I had learned a few proper techniques and decided to call it quits. So I rode back down the mountain, freed my toes from the ski boots and happily turned in my equipment.
The next day Chuck and I took the bus into Aspen to sightsee and take a ride on the gondola to the top of Aspen mountain and see the peak Ajax was named after. Before we returned to the condo, I wanted to buy an Aspen t-shirt as a memento of the trip and as we walked out of the store and down the steps, I thought we had reached the sidewalk when in reality it was only a landing, so when I went down a final step, I lost my balance and once again fell, this time on my knees, and several concerned souls came to inquire if I was all right as Chuck helped me up.
We flew home on Saturday having witnessed and experience both agony and ecstasy. As in all tales with happy endings . . . we are home safe and sound, all in one piece, no broken bones, and with once in a lifetime memories. I just wanted all of you to "feel" my experience! Love, Judy
Sounds like an exciting and eventful experience and after you heal up the memories will be even better. We enjoyed hearing all about your Aspen
ReplyDeletevacation. Love, Dad & Mom
Great Story Judy! You can file this experience under "OK, I tried it".
ReplyDeleteSo Judy a trip to the Swiss Alps is NOT on your next vacation spot? Mary Jo
ReplyDeleteYou have a new career, not only as a world traveler, but as a writer. I'll bet you have a book in you. If a guy can write a book called "How Starbucks saved my life" about being fired at 62 and losing his six figure income, and loving his new job at Starbucks, you could make the top ten list. Thanks for sharing your high altitude experience.
ReplyDeleteI laughed through this entire story!! Im glad you didnt break any bones!
ReplyDelete